Jackson County Tenant’s Bill of Rights and
This bill was introduced in October 2019 by Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas. The bill, which becomes
law on June 1, 2020, focuses heavily on implementing new policies and procedures centered around renter protections in the Kansas City area.
Here is a list of important takeaways for landlords:
The ordinance applies to leases entered into after June 1, 2020. Any leases signed before June
1, 2020 are not covered by the ordinance.
Before entering into a contract, landlords are required to provide prospective tenants:
1. Phone number for every utility provider used to service the unit. (Section 34-848.2(a)).
2. A written description of all notices of deficiencies and citations issued to the owner of the
property for the past 24-months. (Section 34-848.2(b)). Landlords can show they have complied with this requirement, by including a page at the back of the lease stating prior to signing the contract, the tenant has been provided these three requirements. There is no time frame stated in which a landlord has to provide this information to tenants.
3. Copy of the tenant’s bill of rights (Section 34-848.2(c)). The Federal Fair Housing law has not changed. Landlords cannot discriminate against potential renters based on their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, and disability. However, the new ordinance includes the prohibition of landlords discriminating against sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and victims of domestic violence.
4. Landlords are now required to provide at least 24-hours’ advance notice to the tenant before
entering the property. The notice must provide the date and time, the identity of the person or persons who will be entering, and the purpose of their entrance.
5, Landlords cannot discriminate against tenants based on their lawful source of income. Spousal
support, child support, section 8, or other subsidies are considered lawful income.
6. The ordinance restricts a landlord’s ability to have a blanket policy to reject prospective
tenants based on criminal or eviction backgrounds. The ordinance requires that landlords review
all documents provided by a prospective tenant before rejecting their application.
AT A RECENT COURT DOCKET THE JUDGE EXPLAINED TO ME THAT AS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS ACT, PUBLIC DEFENDERS ARE GOING TO BE APPOINTED TO REPRESENT TENANTS AT NO COST TO THE TENANT. THIS WILL NO DOUBT MAKE EVICTIONS MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE AND TIME-CONSUMING AND CERTAINLY MAKE THE OUTCOME OF THE EVICTION LESS CERTAIN.
SUGGESTION – GET NEW LEASES EXECUTED PRIOR TO JUNE 1ST, 2022.
AFFIDAVIT OF SURVIVORSHIP affidavit of title BUYERS commercial real estate COMMON LAW MARRIAGE COVID AND EVICITION DEATH AND REAL ESTATE Deed estate planning estate planning real estate trends FSBO future of commercial real estate Future of real estate home buying Home seller home selling inheritance KC real estate LANDLORD Landlords land use midwest real estate PROBATE Property Management real estate closing real estate contracts real estate deeds Real estate deed work real estate ethics real estate finance Real estate financing real estate investing real estate lawyer real estate management real estate market real estate markets real estate planning real estate transactions real estate trends seller financing SELLERS SURVIVORSHIP AFFIDAVIT TENANTS IN COMMON TRANSFER ON DEATH DEED wholesale real estate
- AUDIO/VIDEO ONLINE CONSULTS AVAILABLE DIRECTLY WITH A LAWYER
- What is a Side Letter Agreement in Real Estate?
- MISSOURI STATUTE ON PROPERTY FRAUD
- OPTIONS FOR SELLER FINANCING
- INVESTMENT FIRMS MAKING IT DIFFICULT FOR FIRST TIME HOME BUYERS
- Accredited Investor Verification Letter
- Areas of Practice
- Brokerage Services
- Buy Real Estate Form Templates
- Flat Fee Legal Protection for Buyers and Sellers of Real Estate
- FSBO Lawyer in Kansas City
- FSBO-OWNER FINANCING
- General Disputes
- Glossary of Terms
- Investor Services
- Kansas City Real Estate Lawyer in Missouri – Book same-day, online document reviews for transfer of beneficiary & quit claim deeds, marital waivers, commercial & residential contracts, Investments & more.
- Kansas Legal Resources
- Kansas Resources
- Legal Services
- LIFE ESTATE DEED
- Missouri Legal Resources
- Missouri Resources
- MLS Commission Rates
- My Account
- My account
- My Cabinet
- Our Firm
- Same Day Production
- Seller Agent
- Seller Financed Instruments
- Short Sale
- Tax Sales Overages in Missouri
- THE SANDWICH GENERATION
- Title Insurance
- WHAT IS AN EASEMENT?
- What Makes Us Different
- Who we Represent